You guys seriously rock. Last week, Alessia and Fabrizio, the authors of the fascinating blog Maple and Saffron, nominated me for the Liebster Award. I couldn’t be more flattered!
The rules of the Liebster Award:
- When you receive the award, you post 11 random facts about yourself and answer 11 questions from the person who nominated you.
- Pass the award onto 11 other blogs (make sure you tell them you nominated them!) and ask them 11 questions.
- You are not allowed to nominate the blog who nominated you!
1. The first coffee I remember drinking was an espresso in Pisa on my trip to Italy with Experiment in International Living in 2009. We were at a random restaurant and our group leader thought it would be fun. I liked it better without sugar.
2. My immediate family is the only family I have in NYC.
3. If I really had to choose a favorite chocolate, this one would be it.
4. I have a weak spot for Starbucks coffee cups and have three christmas ones, a brown one from the seattle store and a couple tumblers that I use for smoothies. And I claim to hate the place….
5. I have been obsessed with magazines since I was a kid. I can still remember the cover of my first Seventeen magazine. It was blue and had Jennifer Garner on it.
6. I have seen every episode of Sabrina the Teenage Witch (more) than multiple times. My favorites seasons are 2 and 6.
7. I am shorter than both my mother and my father.
8. I absolutely hate, hate, HATE take off on planes. I have to close my eyes and take deep breaths for a good five minutes. Strangers generally comment on this, which would be annoying if I didn’t fly quite so often.
9. I can roll my tongue, fold it in half, wink my eyes really quickly and raise one eyebrow at a time on either side.
10. I cannot stand bananas.
11. I, essentially, always want to be wearing my rainbow flip flops.
And here are the questions they asked me…
- If you were to leave for a trip in 5 minutes, what are the 3 things you’d take with you? I would take my kindle, my camera and a bottle of water.
- What instrument have you ever wanted to learn to play? Honestly, I’ve never really been interested in music, but I guess probably the piano. Just because I would like an excuse to own a piano.
- Which recipe you really love cooking? There are so, so many recipes that I return to time and time again, but I’m going to go with this Chana Saag recipe (I make it with chickpeas instead of tofu). It’s the best one I’ve found thus far!
- What’s your favourite song when you’re travelling? The song Lazy Painter Jane will always remind me of my trip around England to visit universities.
- You’ve just landed in Italy: what’s the first dish you wish to taste? When I landed in Italy this year, the first thing I wanted to taste was a cappuccino. Now, however, I’m still itching to try xyz, I’ll get to it soon!
- Mountains, hilltops or beaches: where would you go on vacation? Probably hilltops. I’m not a fan of beaches and, while I always like the idea of mountains, I generally get bored quickly of nature and hiking.
- What’s the best thing about your country? The best thing about America is the constant innovation. Since we’re such a young country with relatively little history, people are always pushing themselves to do new things and create new traditions from old ways. I love it.
- How do you like spending your day off? A croissant with my mother, coffee with my father, some time spent chatting with friends, a yoga class, reading and baking.
- What’s your favourite world cuisine? This is so difficult! I really love indian food, but I’m going to be ridiculous and say fusion or new american. I love crazy combinations, like this here!
- If you could only save one of your books, which one would you choose? Can I say my kindle? In order not to have a cop out answer, I would save A Homemade Life by Molly Wizenberg. It is, however, on my kindle.
- What role/part would you like to play in a movie? I’m really not big into movies, but I’ll say Cher in Clueless, simply because I think she’s the epitome of cool.
Okay, now it’s my turn to nominate some people, here goes!
- Adventurous Andrea
- Danielle Abroad
- My Erasmus Adventure
- Louise in Europe
- Blueberry Submarine
- Where Lemons Blossom
- Where in the World in Dayna?
- Sporadically Joe
- Marguerite Goes to London
- Jared and Amber
Here are my questions for you all:
- What is your favorite way of getting to a new destination (car, plane, train, boat, foot, etc)?
- Would you prefer to watch a movie or read a book?
- If you could magically be fluent in another language, which one would you choose?
- What’s your favorite way to spend a Saturday morning?
- Do you prefer tiny espressos or oversized american coffees?
- Do you write letters to friends and family when you travel?
- What are you listening to right now?
- How did you chose the name for your blog?
- Do you enjoy reading travel writing? What’s your favorite book about travel?
- A day spent having fun in the sun or stomping through snow?
- Do you have any destination that you return to year after year or do you prefer to head to new places?
Your turn! Answer either one of the eleven questions asked to me, or one from the list I made!